Sunday, January 30, 2011

From Blah to Spa...

Hello everyone, well its been a while since I've posted simply because I've been busy trying to recoup after hip replacement surgery on January 10th. 
Thank you all for all the well wishes, sweet cards and nice emails, its been very much appreciated!


I'm participating this week in another "Metamorphosis Monday" with Susan at Between Naps On The Porch along Traci's "Bathroom-Organization" at "Beneath My Heart"  for our master bathroom renovation.
This ensuite bath renovation is not "brand new" but every time I walk into this room it feels, timeless and fresh to me compared to what it used to look like.
We built our house in 1991 and at the time everything was "builder grade special" and the color of the day in the early 90's was peach, peach and more peach. The more peach one had, the better we thought it looked...wrong, wrong, wrong!
Now, nothing in my house is peach except if it comes from the produce department and is edible.
Anyway, back to what it used to look like; giant plastic garden tub with peach tulip tile surround, two sinks with peach tulip tile counter tops and everything had matchy-matchy shiny brass faucets that matched the shiny brass tulip lights. There was a stand-up shower stall and "potty box" combo and oh ewwwww...of all things, peach carpeting! What on earth was I thinking!!!
Here's what it used to look like:
This was the only picture I could find (I'm sure any others ended up in a landfill somewhere!) and as you can see it was builder generic. In the bottom right corner, you can see the giant plastic tub and big brass faucet.
So with the windows and plumbing in place that made the lay out easy...kind of, we ended up having to re-plumb for the tub faucet so it could be centered on the big window. Also (GASP!) we ripped out the walk-in closet to locate the new tile shower in its place. Oh yes, we also had to install all new plumbing for the new shower location...how odd the walk-in closet didn't have it already:) I wear scrubs to work everyday and I've never really been a clothes hound therefore a "normal size" closet works well for us.

So...come on in...
 my husband built all this you see...
here's what its looks like today taken from about the same spot as the "peachy original"...
New, lighting, bead board and beveled mirrors in custom built frames...all built, installed and hand painted by my hero, Mr. La Bella Vie...Porcelain pedestal sinks with a re-purposed vintage sheet music stand for storage
(inside we installed plastic pull out drawers for essentials). New hardwood floors replaced that disgusting peach carpet and a new double hung window replaced the fixed window at the end of the tub...


A view of where the double sinks and tub were located. That mark on the ceiling (to the right of the skylight) is the old walk-in closet and is now the walk-in double shower shown below.
Here's what it looks like today. A walk-in double shower and the new closet in the right of the picture.

Subway tile, polished nickle fixtures, rain head shower and hand-held shower head...
and the unexpected...salvaged vintage glass door knob for a shower door handle.

Gone is the "tub in a box" and in its place a white Porcelain cast iron
pedestal tub...one of my favorite places on earth:) 

"Telephone" shower/bath handle...
The details...
collected vintage door knobs and escutcheons' for the closet doors and linen closet...
custom linen closet and door knob...
Through the looking glass...
this picture is taken from the reflection in the linen closet door:) I love the sunshine against the hardwood...


no neighbors to obstruct a lovely view....
I hope you've enjoyed your (long) day at the spa, I know I do every time I walk in here thanks to Mr. La Bella Vie:) He took my initial rough sketch and idea then drew the actual design to scale on "Visio", a technical drafting  program. Below you'll see the sink and floor plan elevations he sketched to bring my vision to fruition...I'm convinced the man must have "Super powers" to be able to do this:)


He's used Visio many times over for other home projects including this room I posted on another Metamorphosis Monday.
Believe me when I say this project was truly a labor of love and the ultimate test of patience on my part because this lovely space turned into a very complicated DIY project but at the end of the day...it was so worth the time and effort!
Thank you again Susan for hosting another "Metamorphosis Monday" and Traci for the great "Bathroom Organization party", this was a fun post to do and I thank you both! 

33 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! I may have to borrow your shower door handle idea when it comes time to install ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! and most creative and inspiring ... love all the small touches that make it spectacular ... like the use of vinatge door knobs ...and that view from the tub...priceless! Hope you are back on your feet soon, my frirnf..xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  3. not sure what happened with the key board... frirnf ??? should be friend...xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry, this bathroom is absolutely GORGEOUS!! I love the new layout, the tub under the window and all of those fixtures. GREAT job!
    Thanks so much for visiting my new blog--I'm so glad to have found yours!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous bathroom! Definatley a spa experience! I love that tub! Wow!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy smoke!!! That is a dream bathroom!!! I am so jealous! I love tub time and I could just sink into that one especially with that beautiful window there! Wow! Mr. LBV outdid himself! I have to laugh a bit with the "telephone" piece in the tub. Every time we go into Lowe's, Jemma runs to the tubs and starts talking on the phone on one of the tubs. It is her office! She is such a mess!!! Hope you are feeling better each day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a truly beautiful bathroom! Love the tub especially! Lucky you to have Mr LBV!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a transformation! Great job. It really is quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terry- That is a beautiful make over. Wow! I had peach too at one time...did you have minty green for an accent? Just checking! I love what you have done here...it is a bathroom worthy of a queen! And your "king" did a great job too! Hugs-Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really do love that bathroom! I think it may be my dream bathroom!
    The tub, the wainscotting, the old dry sink, just gorgeous!
    I am sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope your on the mend now, you look way too young to be having hip replacement surgery.
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutley beautiful!! oh my! love the vintage look, those porcelain knobs are to die for. I can imagine sitting in the tub surronded by the view outside....wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning. It looks not only vintage yet modern but sleek and stylish at the same time. I did something like this with my master bath as well. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I'm especially loving your creative use of crystal doorknobs. Congratulations on a stunning make-over!
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. You new bathroom is absolutely gorgeous! I love the beadboard and the pedestal sinks and what a tub and shower. Truly droolworthy. Hope you regain your strength very fast, too. Please stop by and see our fabrics if you have time. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terry-

    What a dream bathroom!! And to think, you and your husband designed it! I love all the old-fashioned touches, like the white beadboard, old door hardware and tub fixtures. You are one lucky lady!

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Terry! This is a gorgeous bathroom!!! You and your husband both did an amazing job from the "vision" to the completion! I LOVE the tub...the sinks...the shower...the vintage glass knobs...the windows...your view!!! I wouldn't want to leave.
    Now I'm off to look at the other room you mentioned! Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness. Your bathroom is bigger than my living room. And it looks like Pottery Barn. Very nice!

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  18. All I can say is, WOW! It's amazing! The door handles and other vintage touches are so fantastic. Thank you for your visit, I'm enjoying reading your blog!
    Cheers, Andrea
    p.s. We have the same kitty - with the same tummy :))

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an utterly gorgeous bathroom! This is one to save for my inspiration folder!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You and Mr. La Belle Vie make a great pair. He can make your design vision a reality. I wish Mr. Dusty Victorian could be more like Mr. La Belle Vie that way. Anyway, Bravo to both of you.
    Anyes
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your bathroom is GORGEOUS! Did your fixtures come with the tub or did you purchase them separately? I am looking for new fixtures for my antique claw foot tub.
    So glad I stopped by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your bathroom is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the beadboard, the sinks, the hardware... the TUB !!! Well, kinda love all of it!! Following you along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the accent tile in the shower! Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love, love, love this bathroom. Just redoing our own.... Are you up for a few questions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cinderella!
      Yes by all means, ask away!I lived through this major remodel so I think I might be able to help!

      Delete
  25. Love, love, love the bathroom! Just doing ours and found your blog... Trying to persuade my Mr. The we can put pedestal sinks on an outside wall.... Have you had any troubles with yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problems at all, except on occasion when our outside temps have dipped well below freezing (4 degrees was the coldest) we had to leave the faucets dripping through one night. Other than that no problems at all and to this day I still love walking in this room! Oh and those temps are very rare in our part of the country...

      Delete
    2. We're on west coast Vancouver and today is probably some of the snowiest we experienced but icon can dip down below freezing one in awhile. Also love your tub, did you go with acrylic or cast iron? We have looked at so many tubs its getting confusing and overwhelming.

      Delete
    3. The tub is cast iron and it took 7 very sturdy men to bring it upstairs and I can say it won't ever be coming back down if we ever decide to move :) The company where we purchased it is no longer in business but I'm sure you can still find this type online or a bath shop.

      Delete
    4. Yes weight is the tub is one of our obstacles as our bathroom is on the second floor and believe it or not the bath tub sits in a bay window that hangs out over the side of the house, what were they thinking when they built this house??? Although a difficult decorating obstacle it does provide a lovely view of the trees behind the house. One more question about the bathroom. We love the taps do you know what company they are?

      Delete
    5. We designed our house so the way its built, the second floor where the tub is, sit directly over the header of the wall below so it has structural support.

      Delete
  26. Thanks for all your help! You do have a wonderful blog and I've enjoyed it immensely! If I need any more help I'll be sure to drop by for more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and best of luck with the remodel. If you have anymore questions, give a shout!

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts...